KARAALİOĞLU PARK

            Until the early years of the 20th century the Karaalioğlu (Karaoğlan) Gardens was a recreation area. On the Yenikapı side of the gardens were, in sequence, the Leski coffee house, the Attalos club, the Nocera cinema, the Agia Panteleimon church belonging to the Greek community and the Greek cemetery. The Leski coffee shop took the name of Vatan coffee shop and the Nocera cinema of the Leyla cinema, in the early years of the Republic, while the Agia Panteleimon church was used as the building of the Türk Ocağı organisation. The transformation of the Karaalioğlu Gardens into a modern park took place at the beginning of the 1930s. The foundations for the Sericulture School were laid in 1929, the construction of the double track road was completed in 1930, and again in 1930, a children’s park was built within the gardens. Together with this, even at the beginning of the 1930s the Karaalioğlu Gardens were a recreation area which was surrounded by hackberry trees. Gazi Boulevard was opened within the gardens on 27 February 1931, and a silk farm station was built next to the School of Entomology. On the other hand, the foundations of the Halkevi building – the current Municipality building – were laid.

Digital     karaali_2_1

            The endeavours to create the modern park began during the Governorship of Haşim İşcan, and with the lead of the ‘Society for the Embellishment and Promoting of Antalya’, which was established on 14 August 1940, on 2 March 1941. The wok lasted for three years, followed by which the Karaalioğlu Park was opened under the name of İnönü Park, on 29 April 1943. The park is established on a 140 thousand square meter estate. The park contains three streets, which run parallel to the sea and to each other, from the east to the west, and three observation platforms on the shore are present at the end of these streets. Some special statues were built for the park at the end of the 1970s. Within this scope, the second observation platform contains the statue of a “Worker and Child”, created by the sculptor, Mehmet Aksoy, the third observation platform contains the statue of a “Hand”, created by Kuzgun Acar, and there is also a statue of “Don Quixote”, created by Cahvar Göktaş, between the second and third platforms, while the statue entitled “Nazım Hikmet in Prison”, created by the sculptor Mehmet Aksoy, was opened in 2010.

karaali_3_1     karaali_4_1

          The Karaalioğlu Park possesses a wealthy range of living beings – primarily plants and flowers and species of birds – which reflect the flora of Antalya. The park is established on a 140 thousand square meter estate. The park contains three streets, which run parallel to the sea and to each other, from the east to the west, and three observation platforms on the shore are present at the end of these streets. Some special statues were built for the park at the end of the 1970s. Within this scope, the second observation platform contains the statue of a “Worker and Child”, created by the sculptor, Mehmet Aksoy, the third observation platform contains the statue of a “Hand”, created by Kuzgun Acar, and there is also a statue of “Don Quixote”, created by Cahvar Göktaş, between the second and third platforms, while the statue entitled “Nazım Hikmet in Prison”, created by the sculptor Mehmet Aksoy, was opened in 2010. The Karaalioğlu Park possesses a wealthy range of living beings – primarily plants and flowers and species of birds – which reflect the flora of Antalya.